[rdiff-backup-users] Newbie Questions about replicatijng rdif-backup

From: Alex Samad
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Newbie Questions about replicatijng rdif-backup
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:09:22 +1100

Hi

I have just started to use rdiff-backup and currently I am backup a
mounted cifs directory on a linux box (box A), it also rdiff-backups to
another box in the same location (at the same time ?) and also sends it
to 2 other locations via vpns

my problem is that the vpn links are slow (over the internet) and my
backup window gets very small...

so I thought instead of rdiff-backup to the off site locations, I could
say rsync --delete local rdiff-backup directory offsite to the other 2
sites.  if need arises I could rdiff-backup restore directly from the
other sites.

Would that work ?

Also my backup data size is around 800M roughly actually compresses down
to about 166m - I used to tar gzip the directory up and then send the
gz's off location, but I am in the process of moving towards backupninja
and rdiff-backup to handle my backup needs.

I presume by using --remote-schema "ssh  -C %s .... " I am getting the
same sort of compression ratio ?

Thanks
Alex Samad