[rdiff-backup-users] Backup on a filesystem which is in a file

From: Mateusz B.
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup on a filesystem which is in a file
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 11:20:02 +0200

Hey,

I just want to make sure I don't do anything wrong. I have a remote (over 100Mbps LAN) machine with Windows XP and NTFS. My desktop is Linux with ext3 and this is how I do my backup:

First, I created a 80GB file on NTFS, crypted it with LUKS and did mkfs.ext3. I shared this big file over SMB.

Now, when I want to do the backup, I mount SMB, then LUKSopen that big file, mount it as ext3 and perform rdiff-backup.

Is this idea (ext3 in a file shared over SMB) efficient? Is there any better way?

Greetings,
Mateusz