Re: [rdiff-backup-users] native VSS (Shadow Copy) support

From: Randy Syring
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] native VSS (Shadow Copy) support
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 11:27:31 -0400

Josh Nisly wrote:
Two things:
1) The rdiff-backup project likely won't accept patches for features that are platform specific. There are exceptions for OS-specific filesystem metadata, but VSS doesn't fall into that category.
Now that there is consideration of restarting development, any chance we could reconsider this? Any backup solution has to wrestle with the Windows user base and the key issue on Windows is whether or not a backup solution uses VSS. If rdiff-backup supported VSS, its uptake might be huge.

At very best, maybe a plugin system so that VSS can be added easily without needing to touch the core code?
2) I've written a python extension module in C++ to implement VSS. Is that something that you'd be interested in?
Very, please share.  Have you integrated this with rdiff-backup at all?

JoshN

Thanks Josh!

Randy Syring
Intelicom
502-644-4776

"Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory
of God." 1 Cor 10:31

Randy Syring wrote:
I was going to try to add support for Windows Shadow Copy Service based on this code/concept:

http://markmail.org/thread/bmyioexeuvnwlmho

and am wondering if anyone had suggestions related to this. The concept seems simple enough, make a shadow copy of each drive involved and change the location of the backed up files from the actual drive to the vss image. I was thinking a new flag could be implemented '--vss' in order to tell rdiff-backup that vss images are desired.