Re: [Fwd: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restarting development]

From: Matthew Miller
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restarting development]
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:39:07 -0400

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 06:32:04AM +1000, Alexander Samad wrote:
> But I would say on encryption and de duplication - why not leave that to the
> filesystem - stay focused on what rdiff-backup does best - differential
> backups, you can get de duplication, compression and encryption file systems
> why not leave it to them to do that (well atleast for linux and any os that
> accepts fuse filesystem).

For encryption, one could do something like encfs (perhaps over sshfs).
That's pretty cool.

There's a win for deduplication at the rdiff-backup level, though, because
you can tranfer over the wire _after_ deduplication. One could of course
rdiff-backup to a target deduplication filsystem, sync or snapshot that
filesystem, and rsync the underlying store, but that has its own
disadvantages.

--
Matthew Miller           address@hidden          <http://mattdm.org/>