Re: [Fwd: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restarting development]

From: Nicolas Jungers
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restarting development]
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 17:27:23 +0200

On 04/06/2010 10:32 PM, Alexander Samad wrote:
But I would say on encryption and de duplication - why not leave that to the
filesystem - stay focused on what rdiff-backup does best - differential
backups, you can get de duplication, compression and encryption file systems
why not leave it to them to do that (well atleast for linux and any os that
accepts fuse filesystem).

I don't know for de-duplication, but for encryption the filesystem solution falls a bit short.

Block device encryption doesn't allow to rsync the backup of site and cryptfs doesn't support spare files (nor do rdiff-backup, but that shall be addressed soon, right?). My memory is a bit fuzzy but I think I selected cryptfs because it's the only solutions which (1) allows access to either the crypt or uncrypt version of the files and (2) may leave the metadata uncrypted.

So yes, it's usable, just not optimal.

Nicolas