[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Create Missing Data

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Create Missing Data
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:12:14 -0500

On 03/18/2011 06:54 AM, MikeyG79 wrote:
What you are missing is the manual page warning that you should never write to
mirror directory except with rdiff-backup. Once you've corrupted the backup
by making changes to the mirror, rdiff-backup won't function correctly for any
files that you affected.

Wow, guess we're going to switch back to rsync. If rdiff can't create a backup
from live files (ie: recreate files in the backup repository that may get
erased) it's almost worthless in our situation.

We've been using rsync to keep incremental backups on the clients systems for
easy/quick restore. So if part of the full backup gets moved, the backup
mechanism needs to be able to re-create that.

An rdiff-backup repository is in essence a large, intricate database, a portion
of which (the mirror) is arranged for easy read-only access.  If you run around
randomly deleting or modifying pieces of that database, you'll get results
similar to what would happen if you mangled any other database in that manner.

                Do NOT delete it.