Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Please help getting my backups running.

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Please help getting my backups running.
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:26:06 +0000

On 31/10/2012 14:49, Gary Rickert wrote:
Thank you so much for the reply Dominic. I have added comments where applicable below.
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Dominic Raferd <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Gary

From what I can tell this doesn't seem to be a problem with rdiff-backup but some sort of issue with ssh? Anyway...
ssh-copy-id -i /home/clientrdiff/.ssh/id_rsa.pub address@hidden as both root and clientrdiff returns
ssh: connect to host server.server.com port 22: Connection refused
If I add -pXXXX or use the Host from config I get:
/usr/bin/ssh-copy-id: ERROR: No identities found

I am not familiar with ssh-copy-id but checking on man page it looks as if it does not support the -p option and I guess you are using a non-standard ssh port? So don't use ssh-copy-id, just add the public key manually; you only have to do it once for each remote user (root and clientrdiff). Do you know how to do this?

After trying to use ssh-copy-id, I did manually add the key.pub. I only added this info because it was different than the results I had seen previously from using the command, successfully and had hoped it may be a clue I was to dumb to understand.  I can ssh to the server with no password from both root and the clientrdiff users.

ok so there is no problem here

/etc/fstab    address@hidden:/home/serverrdiff/ToBeBackedUp /home/clientrdiff/mnt/server.com:/home/clientrdiff/ToBeBackedUp fuse user,noauto,ro 0 0
mount /home/clientrdiff/mnt/server.server.com:/home/serverrdiff/ToBeBackedUp
returns: mount: can't find /home/clientrdiff/mnt/address@hidden:/home/serverrdiff/ToBeBackedUp in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
Your second problem seems to be with sshfs, your syntax looks strange to me. To mount the remote directory 'ToBeBackedUp' at say /home/clientrdiff/remotebackup I think it should be like this:

$ mkdir -p /home/clientrdiff/mnt/remotebackup
$ sshfs address@hidden:/home/serverrdiff/ToBeBackedUp /home/clientrdiff/mnt/remotebackup -o workaround=rename

But why are you using sshfs at all? You don't need this for rdiff-backup, unless rdiff-backup cannot be installed on either client and server. Using sshfs will make backups slower and use more bandwidth.
I am just trying to follow whatever info I can pull from all of the tutorials. If I don't need sshfs, and surely if it will slow down the process, I won't use it.

good, no problem here either!

Here is an example of rdiff-backup doing a push backup (i.e. run on client) using a non-standard ssh port 9222:
$ rdiff-backup --remote-schema "ssh -C -p9222 %s rdiff-backup --server" /home/clientrdiff/ToBeBackedUp address@hidden::/home/serverrdiff/ToBeBackedUp

BTW both your machines are using a very old version of rdiff-backup (1.0.5), you should use 1.2.8 (the last stable version) or 1.3.3 (the last unstable, but seems to work fine).
I did a yum install rdiff-backup, and it is "yum" up to date. I will look at upgrading it in a bit.

Very strange, but I would upgrade if you can. Lots of bugfixes since 1.0.5. Obviously  you should upgrade both sides. I am not sure if rdiff-backup repositories created with 1.0.5 are compatible with repositories created with the latest-and-greatest - another reason to upgrade asap. What distro are you using?

I did get the rdiff-backup to run, bth a my created backup user and as root, with your help. Thanks much.
Now a few questions if I may.

The
--remote-schema switch does what? Man says:
--remote-schema schema
              Specify  an  alternate  method of connecting to a remote computer.  This is necessary to get rdiff-backup not to use ssh for remote backups, or if, for instance, rdiff-backup is not in the  PATH  on  the  remote
              side.
and then
we use ssh. rdiff-backup is in usr/bin, which is in the path. I tried without this and it does not work, so what am I actually telling it?

You only need the --remote-schema because you are connecting to a non-standard port, the normal connection assumes tcp port 22; rdiff-backup does not have a -p option but using remote-schema in this way achieves the same thing. I don't know why it doesn't work unless you specify /usr/bin. If you do 'echo $PATH' this should show /usr/bin among other directories (colon separated).

The --server switch does what? Is this saying to run the rdiff-backup code on the system being backed up rather than on the system pulling to data? I would prefer to have the majority of the work load on the pulling server.

This is the instruction passed to the server - it tells the server to run rdiff-backup in 'receive' mode ('server' mode) and wait to receive data from the client. So then both machines run rdiff-backup and the client tells the server what to do; the workload is shared optimally.

Again, I greatly appreciate your assistance.
Gary

My pleasure. I suggest that you reply to the newsgroup then the information can benefit others (and you may get better advice too)

Dominic

TimeDicer - Windows Backup and File Recovery from Whenever