Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ignore file access error

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ignore file access error
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 12:33:31 +0000

Martin:

See the response on this issue at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2004-06/msg00071.html by Ben Escoto who wrote the original rdiff-backup:

The error is probably caused by files changing as rdiff-backup
processes them.  If this happens, rdiff-backup doesn't touch the file
for the session, leaving it as it was previously.  See
http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/error_policy.html  for more
information.

You could just ignore these errors, and assume that rdiff-backup will
eventually find the file not changing under it.  Another, possibly
more principled, option is to use LVM snapshots or something similar
(I have no experience with these though).

I've never seen this error message myself but then I always backup from snapshots - Windows and Linux :-)

Regards, Dominic