Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ignore file access error

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ignore file access error
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 13:03:00 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014, Dominic Raferd wrote:
On 13/03/2014 20:23, Martin Mazur wrote:

for a few weeks I am using rdiff-backup and I am very happy with it.

  From time to time Cron is sending me errors like this:

UpdateError website/logs/ssl_access.log Updated mirror temp file
/var/data/backup/www/website/logs/rdiff-backup.tmp.213 does not match
source

Since there is not much I can do about this error I don't wont it to be
displayed. Is there a way of doing this?

As Dominic (and Ben Escoto) said, the best way to actually fix this is to backup from LVM snapshots or xfs freeze. Other workarounds include:

* exclude files from your backup that change often,

* or make an unchanging copy somewhere for backup (mysqlhotcopy etc.),

* live with the fact that they will sometimes/often/never be backed up.

Personally I hide these errors by piping the output of rdiff-backup into grep:

        rdiff-backup \
                --exclude-device-files \
                source dest \
2>&1 | grep -v "^UpdateError .* Updated mirror temp file .* does not match source"

(the grep expression should be all on one line, not wrapped by my email client).

You can filter out more specific patterns, such as /var/log, so that you don't get caught out when your important documents and virtual machine images aren't backed up because your applications are modifying them all the time.

Cheers, Chris.
--
\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <address@hidden> Cambs UK |