Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Read-Only Error with Encrypted Volume

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Read-Only Error with Encrypted Volume
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 20:19:02 -0500

On 07/29/2014 02:06 PM, Rolf Inator wrote:
Dear List,
I was moving from dejavu (on my Ubuntu machine) to rdiff-backup, because it
seemed to have finer granularity for restoring actions. Unfortunately I tried to
back my system up the second time now, but it aborted with an error. This is my
setup:
sudo losetup /dev/loop0 backup_file
sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/loop0 container
sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/mapper/container /media/homeuser/encryptedmount
Then I start the backup with rdiff-backup:
sudo rdiff-backup /home/homeuser/ /media/homeuser/encryptedmount/home/
After a while the system freezes until I unplug the external drive, where the
backup goes to, with the following error message:
address@hidden:~$ sudo rdiff-backup /home/homeuser/
/media/homeuser/encryptedmount/home/
Exception '[Errno 30] Read-only file system:

It could be hanging up trying to read (forever) from a socket file. Try
using the "--exclude-sockets" option.

The mounted filesystem becomes read-only because you unplugged the drive.

                Do NOT delete it.