Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Read-Only Error with Encrypted Volume

From: Rolf Inator
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Read-Only Error with Encrypted Volume
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:28:22 +0200

Seemingly that was the problem. The backup is now possible within 2hours and without any trouble. Thanks Robert!

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 30. Juli 2014 um 03:19 Uhr
Von: "Robert Nichols" <address@hidden>
An: address@hidden
On 07/29/2014 02:06 PM, Rolf Inator wrote:
> Dear List,
> I was moving from dejavu (on my Ubuntu machine) to rdiff-backup, because it
> seemed to have finer granularity for restoring actions. Unfortunately I tried to
> back my system up the second time now, but it aborted with an error. This is my
> setup:
> sudo losetup /dev/loop0 backup_file
> sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/loop0 container
> sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/mapper/container /media/homeuser/encryptedmount
> Then I start the backup with rdiff-backup:
> sudo rdiff-backup /home/homeuser/ /media/homeuser/encryptedmount/home/
> After a while the system freezes until I unplug the external drive, where the
> backup goes to, with the following error message:
> address@hidden:~$ sudo rdiff-backup /home/homeuser/
> /media/homeuser/encryptedmount/home/
> Exception '[Errno 30] Read-only file system:

It could be hanging up trying to read (forever) from a socket file. Try
using the "--exclude-sockets" option.

The mounted filesystem becomes read-only because you unplugged the drive.

Do NOT delete it.