Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Still maintained?

From: Wes Cilldhaire
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Still maintained?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 15:03:27 +1100

> Also wrote this: https://eugenemakerspace.com/wiki/Sites/Rdiff-backup-delete
> would be nice if that functionality could be folded back in to Rdiff-backup.
:-)
>   Clif Cox

Hi, sorry we haven't been able to give rdiff-backup the attention it deserves
before now but we have been familiarizing ourselves with the open issues as
well as the state of the inherited codebase and unreleased changes from the
original repo before we start making new changes and deploying.  As I'm sure
you can all understand it's something that should be done delicately - I'd
hate to push a previously undeployed change without analyzing and testing it
only to find it corrupts people's backups, or likewise not deploying a pending
change people have been waiting for that fixes some critical issue.

I just wanted to let you know that we have included the functionality from
rdiff-backup-delete into the github repository as a python script already:
https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/blob/master/rdiff-backup/misc/rdiff-backup-delete.py

There's more work to be done with it though - at the moment it's a pretty slow
algorithm that operates on supplied filenames sequentially and there is plenty
of opportunity to optimize it for better performance.

Also, people are free to submit PR's if they have bug fixes or new features
that they feel will benefit the rdiff-backup user community and we will
consider all submissions.  At this stage, momentum is slow but building and we
will address open issues in turn.  I've started to triage them internally so
we can address some low hanging fruit that won't involve drastic code changes
and hope to get some time to push these through soon.

Thanks,
Wes Cilldhaire
Sol1