realtime-users

Re: [Realtime-users] Installing RealTime

From: Mark Bucciarelli
Subject: Re: [Realtime-users] Installing RealTime
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 09:17:17 -0400

Hi Barbara,

Before I get to your questions, how did you learn about RealTime?  Were you
at the NTEN conference in Philladelphia?

On Monday 03 May 2004 8:21 am, Barbara Clements wrote:
> I have a nonprofit in my area that needs a calendar program, but first,
> I am trying to run it on my computer so I know what I'm doing when I
> take RealTime to them.

Great!

> The DOS window shows: Hostname: barbara-6onzz20.domain_not_set.invalid

The "domain_not_set.invalid" is the problem.  I'll have to see if I can
duplicate this.  This is probably because you are on a standalone machine.

What output do you get if you type ipconfig at a DOS prompt?

> My questions are:
> Can I set this up on a stand alone computer or do I need a peer-to-peer
> network?

Both stand-alone and on a LAN should work fine.  I'm guessing a stand-alone
machine install will need the Microsoft Loopback adapter installed.

> Is this a problem because I am using WindowsXP?  The nonprofit has most
> of its machine on XP also.

No, I tested primarily on Windows XP.  It's something to do with a
difference in our network settings.

> Will RealTime work on a server network?  The nonprofit will be getting a
> server network soon.

Yes.  RealTime just needs to be installed on one computer, then all the
others point to it with a browser.  But the central serving computer does
not need to be really strong--in fact, probably any computer bought in the
last three years would be enough for a small office.

Hope this helps ...

Regards,

Mark