repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] What's needed to publish the evaluations (ak

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] What's needed to publish the evaluations (aka the longest email ever {aka two specific tasks})}
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:27:34 -0700

On 04/12/2016 09:08 PM, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> Attached is the updated page and a diff of the changes.
>
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 12:59:24 -0400, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:52:33 -0400, Zak Rogoff wrote:
>>> tl;dr: Mike, all you need to do to the evals themselves before
>>> publishing giving to me to publish is update Github's C5 score and
>>> update the date on the eval.
>
> I removed the section from the evaluation entirely; choosealicense.org
> isn't GitHub.com directly (and does feature GPLv3 as prominently), and
> the license list when creating a new repo lists it second, before the
> far-more-popular-in-most-communities-today MIT Expat.
>
> But I noticed that the dropdown doesn't work without JS, so I added that
> to the list as well.  Of course, they can just add a COPYING or LICENSE
> manually.
>
>>  You might want to add your name to it too.
> I'm not sure where I'd add my name; we don't really have a spot for
> that.  But that's fine.

I find the Sourceforge report problematic. I haven't verified this
myself, but I believe that the vast majority of Sourceforge JavaScript
is free, if not all, and comes directly as part of Apache Allura.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/alexandria has details and links that
eventually bring you to the Allura site. Anyone can test a local copy of
Allura to see that basically all the functions listed in the Sourceforge
review are part of Allura and are indeed fully free JS.

I see no valid reason to accept that GitLab has free but
non-LibreJS-recognized JS but not give the same credit to Sourceforge.
We should verify with Sourceforge themselves (especially before
publishing this report). The list of "non-free or non-LibreJS" for
Sourceforge seems to careless given that almost all of the JS if not all
is likely only a LibreJS issue and not a non-free issue. I suspect
Sourceforge is actually very close to passing as well as GitLab except
for the terms item.