jami

Re: [Ring] Lost device = Lost account?

From: AHIB
Subject: Re: [Ring] Lost device = Lost account?
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 10:53:57 +0200

Thanks for the fast reply. I understand a decentralized robust system must have
some costs, but is there at least an easy Android way to backup your username
via a file just like Bitcoin? Needing to have two devices just to backup is an
overkill IMO especially that in Beta app failure is common. What's especially
frustrating for me is I still have the password, but because the lack of
synchronization it's no good to retrieve my nick.

That said I don't know if it's technically feasible to incorporate a username
expiration feature eg. if a username's last seen date by the network is 6+
months ago the network would revoke its RingID, allowing its recycling.
Otherwise it'd be a matter of time before easy and popular usernames are
reserved to people who are unable or uninterested in using them.

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail