jami

Re: [Ring] Lost device = Lost account?

From: Bruno Pagani
Subject: Re: [Ring] Lost device = Lost account?
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 16:46:08 +0100

Le 02/01/2017 à 16:20, Bruno Pagani a écrit :

> Hi again,
>
> Le 01/01/2017 à 09:53, AHIB a écrit :
>> That said I don't know if it's technically feasible to incorporate a
>> username expiration feature eg. if a username's last seen date by the
>> network is 6+ months ago the network would revoke its RingID, allowing its
>> recycling. Otherwise it'd be a matter of time before easy and popular
>> usernames are reserved to people who are unable or uninterested in using
>> them.
> Not with this blockchain setup AFAIK. And I agree this is not an ideal
> solution, but is being able to recycle username a good thing (I think it
> depends on lot on the level of security you expect from this, and thus
> the targeted audience)? Depending on this, the use of a blockchain might
> not be a good idea, but that’s just my personal user opinion based on my
> understanding of how things work.
>
> Anyway, designing a decentralized system with all the required
> properties is quite probably very hard. You want no one to be able to
> steal your username as long as you use it regularly (to be defined), but
> be able to wipe it else. So, this would require being able to update a
> timestamp like “last use”. This could be done in some sort of
> distributed lookup table, where you register your username:RingID pair
> at a given time (=timestamp), and using the fact you own the secret key
> corresponding to this RingID, update this timestamp every time you
> connect. Then, table nodes are allowed to clear usernames not seen for
> more than the desired time span. Not sure what kind of decentralized
> technos can provide this, since they are hard constraints on not being
> able to write an username already present. Maybe the DHT works the same
> way with RingID:username, but I’m definitively not an expert about that
> and dunno how it works in details.

Just remembered this from a Ring blogpost:

“Graduate and PhD students seek to resolve the question of DHT
Indexation. To contact a Ring user, it is necessary to know his
40-character ID. The DHT indexation will allow users to look for another
user’s Ring ID through information he has made public such as his name
or a public alias, while preserving his anonymity. Wondering how it’s
possible? Marco Rebado, Sylvain Labranche and Simon Désaulniers are
precisely devising a solution. In the meantime, feel free to communicate
confidentially with Ring!”

This predates blockchain use but maybe is still being worked on. ;)