jami

Re: [Ring] testing Ring at Kamailio World, Berlin this week

From: Mikkel Kirkgaard Nielsen
Subject: Re: [Ring] testing Ring at Kamailio World, Berlin this week
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 02:36:37 +0200

Hi Daniel.

On 2017-05-09 23:56, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> - after updating my own version of Ring (Android/F-Droid), it wanted
> to create an account, a popup window appeared telling me it was
> creating an account but it never finished.  Eventually I killed the
> app and cleared the data and started the setup again.

I had a similar experience yesterday before noticing that the recent
fdroid builds are failing
(https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/cx.ring/lastbuild). Thus the version
you'll receive is from 20170215. Installing from Google Play will get
you 20170322 with which I succeeded to create a new account.

On that device I was upgrading from a much older version, and have a
previously exported account/key in a file, which I didn't get the
opportunity to import. Has the file im/export functionality been
abandoned with the introduction of the new Ethereum account store?

I think users should have the choice to keep their keys offline if they
wish. The de-central ring-nameservice
(https://tuleap.ring.cx/plugins/mediawiki/wiki/ring/index.php/Ring_distributed_network#Contribute_to_the_RingNS_blockchain)
is a great idea for usability but why not still have a plain file
im/export functionality?

Hope re:publica is great,
--
Mikkel