jami

[Ring] GSoC: Asad Salman

From: Asad Salman
Subject: [Ring] GSoC: Asad Salman
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 13:46:37 +0500

Hello everyone!
I am Asad Salman from School of EE & CS, NUST, Islamabad, Pakistan (UTC+5). This year, I'll be working on Ring as part of Google Summer of Code under the tutelage of Adrien Béraud.

A lot of Ring development time is spent on developing and maintaining different clients on different OS. Every time we have to integrate a new feature, we have to integrate it in different clients in different environments (with different available APIs). This wastes a lot of time that can be spent on better things. Also, this way some clients are left behind (e.g. Mac client).

My project is on writing a NodeJS wrapper around the Ring Daemon. Such a wrapper will allow cross-platform Ring clients to be developed using frameworks like Electron.

I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys may have related to the project. I look forward to working on this project with the Ring developers.

-Asad