jami

Re: [Ring] GSoC: Asad Salman

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [Ring] GSoC: Asad Salman
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 11:58:06 -0300

Welcome and thanks for your participation! I look forward to help you
whenever I can. :)

I'm not a "big picture" in the GNU Ring project yet, nor a developer,
just a user that happens to care for freedom of other end/non-tech
users. However, I also happen to be interested in how to ensure that the
end/non-tech user receives such freedoms, this often involves knowing a
bit of licensing practices and which are pro "free/libre software" and
which are pro "open source only".

I also have been studying the fragmentation of instant messaging
software these days, and whether they are free/libre or not.

One issue that I found common to those browser-based instant messaging
software is that they subdue the end/non-tech user to the JavaScript
trap ([[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html]]). While
JavaScript itself isn't bad (because it's a computer language), the way
it is made to interact with the user often involves being forced to
automatically run some software, without clear indication of which is
being run, it's license, where to get the complete corresponding source
files, no filter that allows blocking non-free software, and the fact
that JavaScript is *client-side* language, all of this amounts to the
fact that the user of software written in JavaScript is often the
website/webapp visitor, so website/webapp copyright holders and
developers must make sure that the essential freedoms of the software
are being transfered to the end/non-tech user.

*Personally*, I think that, since Ring is a GNU project
([[http://www.gnu.org/software/ring/]]), we must make sure that the
end/non-tech user doesn't fall in the JavaScript trap. This *doesn't*
mean that we must deny making a webapp, but it means that we must make
things right, contrary to what most webapps are doing.

As long as I don't have to do any coding, I can volunteer on aiding in
the legal issues including which JavaScript comment markup is needed in
order for GNU LibreJS to recognize a JavaScript code as free/libre (be
it a script file, an embeded script in the page, or a HTML/JavaScript
event handler). However, as I'm currently unable to apply for GSoC, and
since I'm currently unemployed and not paid for the work I do as
free/libre software activist, I can't guarantee that I'll be available
to work on this full time.

Anyways, to summarize: If you have any questions on how to avoid the
JavaScript trap, and which JavaScript comment markup or which HTML
structure is needed for that, just show me the current setup and ask.

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com