robovasion-devel

Re: [RoboVasion-Devel] Freecraft

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: [RoboVasion-Devel] Freecraft
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:00:56 +0200

Stephane Magnenat <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm researcher at the EPFL (http://www.epfl.ch/) and co-leader of
> the Globulation 2 (http://www.ysagoon.com/glob2/) free software
> game.
>
> As an hacker, I cannot accept what Blizzard did to Freecraft.
>
> Why did you gave up so easily ? Why not set up a mirror ?

See the RoboVasion FAQ (What happened to the original Freecraft?) for
my view on the things that happened:

 * http://www.nongnu.org/robovasion/faq.html#faqN0x80b6da8.0x808f4c8

> I've looked at robovasion, fine, the engine could go on, but anyway
> I think setting up a freecraft's mirror in Switzerland is a good
> thing.

The current plans are to transform RoboVasion just into a game using
Freecraft/Stratagus as it was originally planed, it will not fork the
engine. Instead Stratagus will do the fork and make the engine a bit
more generic:

 * http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/stratagus/

The FcMP graphics and sound will become part of the Aleonas Tales
projects:

 * http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/aleona/

The Warcraft2 compability tools might become part of the Wargus
project (logo and name might be temporary, no webpage yet and no
maintainer):

 * http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/wargus.png

So work is underway to get most or all of Freecraft back online,
basically just with a namechange and a bit cleanup.

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927