rule-list

[Rule-list] Base hardware configuration

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: [Rule-list] Base hardware configuration
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:05:05 +0100

I agree with Wade's proposal:

1)  target system:
        486/25 or better
        16 M RAM
        100 M HD for base install
        200 M HD for install with X, basic apps

and add a couple of comments:

1) somebody said we could count on disk not being smaller than 1.2 GB.
   I think smaller disks are not such a rare case:

        I have a P133, 32 MB RAM *laptop* with a < 700 MB hard disk, and
        I guess it's not an uncommon situation, it's "only" 5 years
        old (**). FWIW, I have RH 7.2 on it, (custom text install, tried
        many times before it would fit) and it leaves less than 100 MB
        for my data (I did add some applications I needed of course)

        Where I work, and I guess in a lot of SUN based shops, they
        are giving away to employees tons of external 1 GB SCSI hard disks
        which are just fine as a replacement (controller permitting
        of course) in old PCs

2) Remember that we are not going to use this *exclusively* on old
   PCs. There are a lot of people that do have more than 32 MB of RAM,
   but are just sick of giving it away to icons and such. USB, apmd,
   and similar.. must be there

                Ciao,
                        Marco Fioretti

(**) bought by VALinux when they still were an Hardware garage shop in Mountain
View.. ah, well

--
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. - John Gardner