rule-list

[Rule-list] Trimming the base package list

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: [Rule-list] Trimming the base package list
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 01:38:38 +0100

Hello,

some thoughts on the base package list, what to keep, what to remove.
Let's try to trim that as much as possible, and see what happens.
What do you think?

        Ciao,
                Marco Fioretti

KEEP:
apmd            we will not use this ONLY on old PCs or laptops
hotplug         same as above

REMOVE

bzip2-libs      are they needed by any planned application?
openldap        not for desktop use, I guess, on server can be
                installed apart
dhcpcd          same as above
cyrus-sasl*     same as above
krb5-libs       same as above
lilo            why don't just use grub?
raidtools       if we had money or need for RAID we wouldn't be
here...
ipchains        unless we find out we are forced to a 2.2 kernel
sendmail        postfix or exim seem definitely more indicated for the
                newbie desktop case. Again, servers can install it
                later

--
Live for the present, dream of the the future, learn from the past.