rule-list

[Rule-list] Introduction

From: James
Subject: [Rule-list] Introduction
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:55:11 -0800

All,
   Greetings My name is James Sparenberg.  I'm currently the Directory New
Product Development for a start-up to be known as Open Country.  We are a Linux
company specializing in Application Management/Environment Normalization.  But
enough advertising.

   My main intrest in seeing this go is the generalized benifit I see to not
only low dollar environs but to Linux as a whole.  The concept of "memeory is
cheap so use it" rankles my nerves to now end.  I for one remember Battle Chess
and the fact that you had a full motion, 3d chess game (with animation) that
fit on a 1.2 meg floppy (Amiga Version).  Today of course the computer I run on
is 950 mhz with 393 megs of ram and most "elitists" consider it slow.  Funny my
word processor runs just as fast as WordStar did on a 7mhz Amiga with 1 meg ram
and two floppies..... hmmmmm.

  What can I contribute... well first I've got a 386 notebook with no CD and a
floppy drive (2 gig hdd though) just aching to run linux.  I've also got some
questions which I hope will help.

   Why run anaconda?  It's great if you have the possibility of several disks
of apps or are trying to match a wide range of modern hardware.  In this case
since I believe you intend to have a limited number of apps (low disk space)
Why not shrink the installer to something that simply says, take everything on
this disk and install it on that disk.  Run configs etc AFTER the box boots the
first time (you do intend to have tools that re-configure the box right?)  This
would also limit the amount of i18n work needed on the installer, since it
doesn't ask so dang many questions.

Thanks for reading my rant... I'll shut up (for) now.

James Sparenberg