rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] non-x86 hardware ... heaps of old Macs need RULE

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] non-x86 hardware ... heaps of old Macs need RULE
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 22:26:43 +0100

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 14:16:13 at 02:16:13PM +0000, isaac wrote:
> A little proposal ...   :)
>
> In other words, once the initial work is done, expand the scope of RULE
> beyond Red Hat into a spec and then advocate its adoption by all the
> Linux distros (similarly to how many are taking up LSB compliance).

Isaac,

doing ourselves a RULE-ification of other distributions would be
probably too big a taste (heck, once we will have updated all these
old boxes to RH 7.2 we will have to get some work done with them, not
funny hacking like this....)

Consider that other distributions have different choices for kernel,
libraries, default applications, different versions of applications,
etc...

Making everything we do available for general use, and advocating it
is a different thing, however. What other distros may use is our
choice of applications, our selection criteria, our per user post
install configuration.....

I would be very happy to see the principles we are trying to follow
(full functionality for desktop newbies from first boot, on whatever
available hardware, etcetera...) become common practice.

For now, however, I'm just not thinking about it. Let's deliver, and
document well what we do and why, and then it will happen by itself..

        Ciao,
                Marco Fioretti
                RULE project leader

--
There is more to life than increasing its speed.  -- Mahatma Gandhi