rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] rule tested on PC 14

From: Martin Stricker
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] rule tested on PC 14
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 21:10:21 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

> These tests were done with the 540 Meg Seagate. I used boot.img
> and v0.7.0 update disk for these tests.
>
> This size hard drive would not autopartition. I used fdisk to set up
> two partitions. 450 Meg for /. The rest for swap.
>
> None of the configurations would fit in 450 Meg. I used custom. I
> selected only network support, dial-up support, and Internet/Web.

That's odd, Low Memory only uses 150 or so MB (though the installer
claims 250 MB). Seems to be a *big* claculation error hidden somewhere
in anaconda!

> The custom installer is real nice and shows how many megs for the
> selected configuration. Printing Support is over 100 megs. Most
> people will want to print even though I rarely do. Almost any
> configuration with Printing Support would eat the whole drive.
>
> Maybe there is a way to install support for a printer from the CD and
> not take 100 Megs. ???

So we need to do some work on the printing package...

> Now the bad news. I physically removed 16 Meg of RAM. Now PC 14
> has only 16 meg.
>
> I boot. It asks for the update disk. It tells me I don't have enough
> ram to install. When I go OK it resets.

When it does that the updates disk is bad in some regard, the updates
did not install correctly! That also would explain why anaconda is
whining about not enough disk space...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/