rule-list

[Rule-list] Suggestion for modifying XFree86 and Tiny X

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: [Rule-list] Suggestion for modifying XFree86 and Tiny X
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:02:36 -0800

Hi all.

I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I thought that it may help all Linux users in the long run.

One thing that I would like to see removed from XFree86 and Tiny X are the parts of the code that changes the tty. You know how when you type "startx" it automatically changes the tty? Well, I believe that it would be worth removing that, so that people can change the tty manually when they want to. For those who want it to be automatic, they can use the "tty" program in their scripts. This will keep the XFree86 binaries smaller, and more focused on what they should concentrate on.

Those who have slow hardware will especially benefit. Think about typing "startx", and then having to wait a long time staring at a screen, while the computer tries to get things started. If you were allowed to change manually, then you type, "startx", before you're finished with your present work, and then switch to the tty, when you're done. The present way doesn't work very well.

I tried to look at the source code, and from what I found, it seems that there is a function that makes use of VT_ACTIVATE to change the tty. Because I can't compile it right now, and because noone on the list will answer me, I can't really do much.

Another modification would be to remove the automatic displaying of that weaved background. I feel that it would be better for the users to call a program in their scripts to add a background. Does this make sense?

A third modification would be to make/modify a window manager that actually changed the priorities on the threads when they are minimized. Often times, I like to load up web links in another window. This allows me to finish off what I'm reading now and come back to that link when I'm done. Also, I won't have to use that back button and find my way around the web site. The main reason that they should be changed to a lower priority is because if the windows are minimized, we definitely won't need to give it focus or see what is going on. Another benefit would be that you could terminate/close/kill that window if it is "stuck". Netscape gets like that sometimes. It makes it really painful, if you know you don't want it anymore, but you have to wait till it's done before you terminate/close/kill.

What are your thoughts?