rule-list

[Rule-list] Slinky suggestion [2]

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: [Rule-list] Slinky suggestion [2]
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 17:51:43 -0700

Hi Michael and all.

Another suggestion for Slinky, is to put as much of the setup script in the second disk, and move the network init into the second stage.

Basically, I'm thinking of something along the lines of the script saying to me, "First, let's partition, and format. Next, how do you want to install? If it's cdrom, then let's insert the cd now and mount it now. If it's network oriented, then let's insert the second disk. ...mounting now...testing network...Okay, now what is the server's IP address, etc.". I'm just paraphrasing of course. Your phrasings are perfect. I'm just suggesting a different order for things.

I noticed that you asked for which packages in the second stage script. Would it be just as effective to ask for this information in the first stage? I think that it may be better to put it in between the disk partitioning and asking of the install method.

One possible advantage to this is that after formatting, hopefully the person could come back and complete the installation.

Another advantage is that if somebody customizes a second stage disk, they have the things that they are going to definitely need on the first stage. The first stage could be common to all install methods. disk2 would then contain all of the different modules, customized scripts, etc.

You know the details better than me, so I wouldn't push it too much. Perhaps with my idea, there would be a common disk1, but several variations of disk2 [plip.img, network.img, etc.].

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong