rule-list

Re: Fw: [Rule-list] Re: How to install? (Jorge L. Beker)

From: Raymundo Baquirin
Subject: Re: Fw: [Rule-list] Re: How to install? (Jorge L. Beker)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 19:26:17 +0800

Hi, Jorge,

On Sunday 19 May 2002 00:00, you wrote:
>  What is the difference betwwen miniconda and slinky?
I guess you mean, as far as mounting goes.  If that's the case then the
answer is that the boot disks in both are msdos file system images, so when
you do a loop mount it should be type msdos.

>  Do you know how to
>  extract the files that you say under DOS? Because I dont have a linux
>  machine! I cant install it!!!

As far as I know, you do have to boot a loop-aware linux kernel in order to
do a loop mount.  I have previously used looplinux
(http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/).  There are complete
instructions at the site but basically all you need is to download the file
loopslak.bin and the Slackware kernel of your choice (all Slackware kernels
have loop support).

Then you can do:
        loadlin bzImage initrd=loopslak.bin root=/dev/ram0

After logging in as root do:
        mkdir /mnt/win /mnt/floppy
        mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win                # mount your windows
partition
        cd /mnt/win/rule/miniconda/7.3                  # or wherever the
boot.img file is
        mount -t msdos boot.img /mnt/floppy -o loop     # loop mount the floppy
image
        cd /mnt/floppy
        ls                                              # this should show
vmlinuz and initrd.img
                                                        # w/c you can copy to
your win partition
HTH,