rule-list

[Rule-list] About the X-less install option

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: [Rule-list] About the X-less install option
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 05:45:44 +0200

Martin Stricker wrote:

<dream>I want a "X-less" install option, which for example will
automatically alias emacs to emacs -nw.</dream>

This option is something we discussed in the first month of the project,
isn't it?

The alias should be added by the post install script, which could also
(in this case) remove X rpms. Of course, it is really dirty to install
several megs of stuff just to fool a badly packaged tool, but what can
we do? (short of maintaining our version, I mean)?

Actually, at least until RH 5.2, they provided emacs-nox, which is
exactly what Martin misses. How hard would it be to repackage it
ourselves?

        Ciao,
                Marco Fioretti
--
"If automobiles had followed the same development cycle as the
computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million