rule-list

Re: [RULE] Off Topic Question

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: Re: [RULE] Off Topic Question
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:29:50 +0100

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 09:48:12 at 09:48:12AM -0800, Joe Sprankle
(address@hidden) wrote:
> I am trying to install RedHat on a laptop with no floppy or CDROM. It
> currently runs slackware which I installed from a PCMCIA CDROM. I no longer
> have acess to that drive. Is there a way I could copy the RH files to a
> seperate partition on my hard drive, and set lilo to boot from there? If so
> what should the lilo entry look like?

Joe,

1) Please wrap your lines at 72/75 characters
2) I did something similar in the past: install on a laptop already
   running linux, but with no bootable cdrom. Pending instructions to
the contrary from more experienced hackers, you might try what
follows:

copy the first cdrom on the other partition (**). You will have some
directory in there containing a vmlinuz and initrd.img files. Let's
call it /other_partition/boot, I don't remember its name. You could
then add to lilo.conf this:

label = newdistro
image = /other_partition/boot/vmlinuz
initrd = other_partition/boot/initrd.img
root = /dev/ram

and at the following boot choose newdistro as lilo parameter. Again,
this worked two years ago with a cdrom. I have no idea if what I said
still makes sense today and in your situation. Consider also that you
should copy by hand/network everything in the two other CDs in a
second moment and install those packages manually. Let us know

        Ciao,
                Marco Fioretti

(**) doing it via PCMCIA ethernet, or serial/parallel cable: only
thing I can say about this part is look at the relevant howto, sorry