rule-list

[RULE] compiling kernels

From: Richard Kweskin
Subject: [RULE] compiling kernels
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:31:27 +0300

Hello All

Just to add here that I have compiled a kernel or two myself (when using the
given config file) but have also gotten stuck trying to cut out too many bits
while creating a different config file. My mania for making minimal things led
to saying "no" to several options. However, the compilation would stop early
during the make zImage stage and I always suspected that a kernel patched by
Redhat (or any other distro) would require certain options to be compiled in to
succeed.

On the other hand (I said to myself) if I take a plain vanilla kernel might I
break some one(s) Redhat programs or components that require some patch or
option.

Bottom line: point me in the right direction as to which kernel source to use
and which config file to match with it and I can compile the beast.

Richard