rule-list

Re: [RULE] Kernel loading problems (CD-install)

From: danj
Subject: Re: [RULE] Kernel loading problems (CD-install)
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:08:46 +0100 (IST)

Quick little update

    Before anyone (C. David Rigby) goes to any more extraordinary lengths,
it might be in the intrest of effiency to read this first!
    I have yet to verify the md5sum on the ISO CD, got a bit of reading to
do o that one. I have followed a suggestion from Richard Kweskin, and
I have test booted the CD sucessfully and checked the directories for
the kernel and found them present.
    I feel like an eejit for not realising this sooner, but I've managed
to acess a command prompt, which might help manual kernel instalation.
The installation balks when it goes to look for a suitable kernel, but
it continues on to ask for a login and password. I simply used the the
boot disk an chose not to run the installation and it started busybox
command prompt! While I failed to mount the Linux partition file
system failed with Tom's root-boot and with MuLinux, I had no problem
mounting it with slinky's command prompt.
    So I now have two questions: 1) where do I find literature on manual
kernel mounting and 2) since I'll be doing this manually 'outside' the
installer, do I have to do anything else to ensure that the install is
completed correctly? I assume this will be different 'cos if I was
fixing this problem mid-install (by using Alt+F2), once I was done the
installer would just continue on as normal.... right???

Let there be no panic, and if there is to be panic, let it be organised
panic!

Toodels!
Dan