rule-list

[RULE] Message from Markus Nicolussi (slinky+scsi)

From: DervishD
Subject: [RULE] Message from Markus Nicolussi (slinky+scsi)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:24:13 +0100

    This message is from Markus Nicolussi, about a couple of problems
with SCSI support at boot time under Slinky. He asked me to forward
the message to the list ;)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736
hello!

Thank u 4 the respond.

U write that there are two possybilities:
1.) new kernel with scsi drivers
2.) initrd

ad. 1.) we have very much different PCs, this could mean many i have to do a
new kernel vor every machine. At the moment this is not so much kernels
(=work) because we have a aic7xxx on almost every pc but this may change. I'll
try this.

ad 2.) i think this way is more flexible and should not bee too difficult.
by consulting the scsi howto, and some man pages i allready found out, that
you can make a initrd image with just one command: mkinitrd. it takes the
modules.conf ad loads all the modules needed into the initrd-img. 4 that u have
have an "alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx" line in the modules.conf.

i also know how to tell LILO to use this initrd-img. but then, initrd also
needs kernel support. And does the redhat kernel have this (i think slinky
installs the standard redhat kernel, isn't it?)? if a vumbox/rulebox or a RH9
starts up it doesn't show a message like "Loading initrd..." what a RH9
bootdisk does.

so do i have to compile an new kernel with way too? and how does RH9 deal
with SCSI disks??

4 this we need the programmer(s) of slinky i think...

i would also like to ask the other people of RULE on this matter because our
internet connection is really bad. googeling i a horrorshow :-). so please
could u forward this email to the mailing list.

I'm also not on the Mailing list, and as log as my internet connection is so
bad i think i shouldn't subcribe. (things are moving slowly here. soon we'll
have a office :-)

It would be very fine if sliky could do this all by it's own. i mean an
option like "scsi install (y/n)" then (if autoprobe of the scsi adapter is to
dificult) manually entering the name of the low level module. slinky could
modprobe the desired modules by its own and install a correct modules.conf and
initrd or whatever is needed... so far about wishes. a shame that i dont know
enough to to it on my on.

Whats LKML?

----- Forwarded message from DervishD <address@hidden> -----

    Hi Ingo and Marco :)

 * M. Fioretti <address@hidden> dixit:
> the root partition because he doesnt know that it is on a scsi
> partition. how can i tell the kernel that?

    If the kernel doesn't have *native* support (not on a module) for
scsi disks, you're lost :(( The only solution is building a new
kernel, or with an initrd (I can't help you in that, sorry).

> i have allready an idea, tell me if i'm right. i think i have to
> copy the modules to /lib/modules/..../scsi and edit the
> modules.conf file.

    Won't work. Think about it: you boot a kernel without scsi
support. Well, since you don't have scsi support you cannot mount the
root filesystem. If you cannot mount the root fs, you cannot access
it in order to load modules...

    IMHO your best bet is to rebuild the kernel with scsi support for
your SCSI hostadapter. If you want to try the initrd alternative,
Google for it: I haven't done any initrd myself and don't know a
word about it, sorry. And anyway, feel free to ask on LKML ;))

--- End Message ---