rule-www

Re: [Rule-www] directory structure for the web site

From: Martin Stricker
Subject: Re: [Rule-www] directory structure for the web site
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:37:12 +0200

Marco Fioretti wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 01:27:31 at 01:27:31AM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:
> > > OK, here we go:
> > >
> > >         whatever directory structure we choose, must be easy to
> > >         reproduce/manage in multiple languages,
> >
> > I see two possible approaches:
> >[snip]
> > Both have their advantages and drawbacks. I prefer version 1)
> > because it makes it quite easy to extract just one language. OTOH
> > version 2) makes it easier to link between the languages...
>
> How would version 2 do that?

In version 1 a Link from a deep page from one language to another looks
like this: ../../../../de/dir1/dir2/dir3/$FILENAME In version 2 it's
just ../de/$FILENAME . Easier to write, isn't it? (as you can see, I
strongly prefer relative links, they will work on any mirror, even
things like www.domain.com/~rulegeek/rule/...)

> > Hmmm, the idea of a Perl|PHP script behind at least the config file
> > is a good idea, it could ask the surfer some questions and then
> > generate the desired post-install script.
>
> Heck, this sounds as cool as can get, but better keep it in the back
> burner, now...

I was just thinking aloud, as usual. I developed the habit of trying to
think about any possible direction a planned application might go, just
to be prepared to add that functionality in the first place. Has proven
itself to be quite useful - if the customer gets an *idea* I can present
a proposal instantly, preventing him to get too dangerous/difficult
ideas. And the hooks I need to implement that functionality are already
in place, making them easy to imlement. A lesson I learned from "miracle
worker" Scotty... ;=D

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi