rule-www

Re: [Rule-www] directory structure for the web site

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: Re: [Rule-www] directory structure for the web site
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:53:23 +0200

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 01:27:31 at 01:27:31AM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:
> > OK, here we go:
> >
> >         whatever directory structure we choose, must be easy to
> >         reproduce/manage in multiple languages,
>
> I see two possible approaches:
>[snip]
> Both have their advantages and drawbacks. I prefer version 1) because it
> makes it quite easy to extract just one language. OTOH version 2) makes
> it easier to link between the languages...

How would version 2 do that? Now that I think about it, I prefer
version 1 too (maybe with some PHP magic falling back by itself to english
version of a page when not available in the choosen language)
> [snip]
> >         applications: eventually, for each application we may have
> >
> All this information could be stored in the database, but I think that's
> not a good idea.

I agree: I didn't mean to put that stuff in the database, but
organize it in html/php files in such a way that querying the database
for a generic application builds also generates correct links to everything
about
it on the server.

> >         and all this stuff should be linked together in a standard way
> >         so that when you query the database for $SOME_APP, the
> >         resulting dynamic web page contains links to:
> >
> >                 $SOME_APP/$LANG/docs.html
> >                 $SOME_APP/config.html(php?)
> >                 $SOME_APP/install.html(php?)

> Make that
>   $LANG/apps/$APP_NAME/docs|config|install.html

Right, becaus coherent with version 1 of directory structure above

> Since I fear we won't have documentation for all languages available we
> need some way to fall back to English if the desired file does not
> exist, along with a short statement in the chosen language. This could
> be handled rather easily if every file has a corresponding .pl|.php file
> which basically grabs the .html|.txt file, if present, or falls back to
> another language (in most cases that would be Englisch, but could even
> depend on user preference).

Agree again, see comment above about "php magic"

> Hmmm, the idea of a Perl|PHP script behind at least the config file is a
> good idea, it could ask the surfer some questions and then generate the
> desired post-install script.

Heck, this sounds as cool as can get, but better keep it in the back
burner, now...

        Ciao,
                Marco

--
We need to focus on how to be productive, not just active.
        Scott McNealy, chairman, CEO, and cofounders, Sun Microsystems.