savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] Re: GNU shell account?

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: GNU shell account?
Date: 15 Oct 2002 15:26:34 +0200

Loic Dachary <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> address@hidden writes:
>  > I would be very interested in particpating in discussions about a
>  > rewrite. I don't like PHP, I don't like Perl much either but I'd be
>  > happier with it than PHP.
>  >
>  > My wish list for a re-develop would be:
>  >
>  > - use stored procs for all data access
>  > - seperate presentation from structure with XSL
>  >
>  > I've been doing those 2 things with java recently but they could be
>  > just as easily implemented in perl (or just about any other language).
>
>       To be completly honest I have no time to discuss the subject. I spent
> a lot of time last year discussing and planning. Promised everyone that I'd
> spend time to write a new version. A finally gave up.
>
>       One important aspect that should be considered seriously is
> the fact that Xerox is investing significant amounts of time to evolve
> the current code base. Laurent Julliard is pushing improvements on a
> regular basis. Therefore, according to me, a rewrite should not be
> motivated by the mere fact that we don't like a specific language or
> database, and cannot be based on the fact that the current code base
> is not evolving (since Xerox is indeed evolving it at a satisfactory
> rate).
>
>       That was my 0.2euros. Just to make sure all parameters are
> taken in account.

My point against PHP is the fact that we need to have concurrent libs
to deal with administrative task : PHP and perl/bash.

PHP can now execute scripts directly on a terminal but that's far from
the potential of perl.

The really cool thing with perl is the fact that the same modules
could be used directly, easily, with differents interfaces, and does
not require to be expert to write (unlike java). The fact is the
project Savannah evolve also because there is not much knowlegde
needed to enhance the current base.

--
Mathieu Roy

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<