savannah-dev

Re: [Savannah-dev] Re: GNU shell account?

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] Re: GNU shell account?
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:17:36 +0100

Hi,
Up to now I was supposed to help specially with CVS in Savannah, but I'm very
glad that Nic and Alex want to take over that part; that will give me time to
work on other Savannah tasks. In fact I have a lot of
CVS reoated issues unsolved for several months that you two can try to solve
(some bugs with log_accum).

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:28:37PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:

> I would be very interested in particpating in discussions about a
> rewrite. I don't like PHP, I don't like Perl much either but I'd be
> happier with it than PHP.
Savannah could be implemented in many different languages; java, perl, php,
python, etc.
I agree with Loic that it is not good to change language just for the sake of
a nicer language and restart from scratch.

As Mathieu explained, the reason why we are planing to replace some php
scripts by perl is because administration tasks are currently performed by
perl scripts and it would be easier if off-line and on-line scripts shared
the same modules. We also have a good experience on Perl programing but no
experience (at least in my case) with Java.

> My wish list for a re-develop would be:
>
> - use stored procs for all data access
I don't understand what you mean by that.

> - seperate presentation from structure with XSL
Mathieu and I have done already a lot of work to separate code from text,
which was a major lack of the SourceForge code. In the future we might want to
use XSL, but at this stage we are still in the process of separating the
scripts from the site-specific content.

You can see the site-specific content in a separate module in the Savannah
repository: savannah-content. And the module savannah-frontend has the perl
scripts we have started to write to replace php scripts. This replacement
does not have to be total; we can perfectly keep both php and perl
scripts. The Codex bug tracking system for instance is already well developped
into php.

Cheers,
Jaime