savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] New CVS structure makes merging quite difficult

From: Derek FEICHTINGER
Subject: [Savannah-dev] New CVS structure makes merging quite difficult
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:19:36 +0200

Hi,

we are beginning now the merging of the CERN Savannah version (which we
synchronized in January for the last time with the GNU site).

We are facing the same problem which Marcus Hardt from the FZK
(http://gridportal.fzk.de) has already mentioned.

> > For us at FZK I foresee some trouble, since you seem to have changed the
> > directory structure.

The CVS directory structure of GNU Savannah was severly changed by directly
moving files inside the repository. This poses heavy problems, since it makes
it impossible for anybody to obtain an older working version of Savannah from
the CVS. Although it was surely a good idea to improve the directory
organization, it would maybe have been better to just start a new CVS module
for this big migration and leave the old one online (the fault in the end
lies in part in the nature of CVS which is not capable to version the
directory structures. The pure CVS way of deleting and adding the file with a
new name is not very convenient and one loses the file history).

We noticed that even the changelog files have been affected. All old pathnames
in the changelogs (even in old entries) have been query/replaced with the new
filenames.
Some files don't exist any more or their names have been changed. This makes
the merge a highly nontrivial procedure.

The only procedure which seems to make the merge possible seems to me:

1. Organize one's own version of Savannah to match the new GNU Savannah
structure.
2. Get this version to work (i.e. correcting all link paths)
3. Use the CVS merge command and get that version to work.

It would be very nice, if there was a list mapping the old pathnames to the
new pathnames, because it's not only trivial changes like /savannah/www ->
/savannah/frontend/php. Does such a list exist for the time when the changes
were made?
If not, we will have to go the hard way and build it ourselves (we've started
building a script which automatizes the mapping as far as possible). We will
make the list available for the other Savannah sites which would like to move
to the new structure.

Cheers,
Derek

--
Dr. Derek Feichtinger                   Tel:   +41 22 767 26 98
LCG/SPI Group                           email: address@hidden