Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] new mailing list blurb

From: Karl Berry
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:26:04 -0600

    I believe listhelper forwards mail to a spamassassin daemon that can
    remove part of the pending mails from the queue.

True.

    I also believe there are a few volunteers who are willing to approve
    non-removed mailing lists posts, when there's no list maintainer or
    when maintainers ask for it.

True.  Currently, Bob, Oleg, me = address@hidden

    I'm talking about listhelper here, not about the volunteer human
    review. Aren't the two separate things?

Yes.

But the same three volunteers (as it happens -- it wouldn't necessarily
have to be this way and there's no technical connection) also do another
thing which *is* connected with listhelper: we review the messages that
are handled by listhelper for mistakes -- either nonspam classified as
spam (which happens very very rarely, maybe 0-2 per month on average out
of the zillions of msgs), or spam classified as nonspam (of which there
are dozens every day).

Obviously the nonspam getting classified as spam is very important, and
we look hard for that, and make sure the real messages end up getting
delivered.  Being human, no doubt we've missed a couple over the years,
but we try as best as we can.

The spam classified as nonspam just means listhelper doesn't autodelete
it; the mailman admins for the list, whoever they are, can still do it,
so whatever slips through doesn't hurt much.

We'll put more details about all this into whatever we upload.

    this. It seemed important though to understand why people would not
    want the system.

Sure.

Best,
Karl