Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] new mailing list blurb

From: Sylvain Beucler
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:04:49 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 06:26:04PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
>     I'm talking about listhelper here, not about the volunteer human
>     review. Aren't the two separate things?
>
> Yes.
>
> But the same three volunteers (as it happens -- it wouldn't necessarily
> have to be this way and there's no technical connection) also do another
> thing which *is* connected with listhelper: we review the messages that
> are handled by listhelper for mistakes -- either nonspam classified as
> spam (which happens very very rarely, maybe 0-2 per month on average out
> of the zillions of msgs), or spam classified as nonspam (of which there
> are dozens every day).
>
> Obviously the nonspam getting classified as spam is very important, and
> we look hard for that, and make sure the real messages end up getting
> delivered.  Being human, no doubt we've missed a couple over the years,
> but we try as best as we can.
>
> The spam classified as nonspam just means listhelper doesn't autodelete
> it; the mailman admins for the list, whoever they are, can still do it,
> so whatever slips through doesn't hurt much.
>
> We'll put more details about all this into whatever we upload.

Yes, if posts potentially get human review, it would be good to
mention it clearly. In particular, private mail lists owners may not
wish human review at all. Remember the fuss about gmail, where google
had to claim they would only do automatic, non-human mail processing
(for adding ads related to the mail content).

--
Sylvain