Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] support for repository(ies) contact/descri

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] support for repository(ies) contact/description
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:27:59 +0200

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This isn't about branches, but rather about low-level optimization.
>>
>> I confused git.or.cz and repo.or.cz. A proper example is:
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/linux-2.6.git?a=forks
>>
>> In practice this means 2 repositories that share the same blobs
>> database.
>>
>> Forest is different. AFAIU this is a way to reference external
>> secondary repositories from a main repository.
>>

> Exactly.
>
>> In this case, "forks" is a way to create a branch in a separate
>> repository while still using the main repository's files instead of
>> copying them. The pros is that the branch is clearly separate (not an
>> official branch) and can get different filesystem-level permissions.
>>
>> Hopefully this is clearer now :)
>>

> Much better now :-). I will have a look.

Correct me if I am wrong, in git this is done when cloning a
repository, specifying the --shared or --reference options, right?
Currently, Mercurial does not support this (internal db is always
cloned).

I guess we will have to start with multiple repos just as normal
directories which will be (more or less) the same for all SCMs. And
may be in the future, add specific SCM features. Is that OK?

Aleix