Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] autoredirect for savannah downloads

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] autoredirect for savannah downloads
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 08:07:40 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 04:56:25PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
>     Did you talk with Randy about installing the multiplexer at Savannah?
>
> No.  I can ask, but I am pretty sure that he does not have the time to
> comprehend savannah's setup.  Is it a requirement in your view?  Since
> we're using Randy's machine for ftpmirror.gnu.org, personally I don't
> see that the multiplexer for savannah's file needs to be hosted locally
> either ...

I prefer when services are hosted at Savannah for 2 reasons:

- Savannah shows how to make a 100%-free software forge, and as such
  it's better when it can be reproduced. Someone once suggested we
  could drop our mail services and just use google groups or similar
  for mailing lists. In both cases it makes sense to provide the
  service ourselves.

- We have control over the setup in case something goes wrong. Fixing
  the service is probably easier than recreating it from scratch in a
  year or two if the external service is discontinued for some reason.

If time is a really an issue I can invest some in installing the
multiplexer myself, but if the service is only about installing and
configuring a mod_perl script I don't think there's much to know about
the rest of Savannah anyway :)

--
Sylvain