Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Licensing issues

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Licensing issues
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:04:22 -0600

    The 'How To Get Your Project Approved Quickly' [1] article says "Use
    a license compatible with the GNU GPL, and use the 'or any later
    version' formulation for the GPL." The GPL license does not contain
    this text, the copying permission statement does though.

I changed it to say
... formulation in your license notices.
Ok?

    I think the article needs to define source files.

I added "(non-derivative)" after "source".  Ok?
https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToGetYourProjectApprovedQuickly
Feel free to edit it further if you like.

     Would non-compiling scripts, such as shell scripts, be described as
     source files.

Definitely, as Noah said.  In short, the author should put a license
notice in anything they create, i.e., that is not a derived file.

karl