Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Decommissioning inactive projects / users?

From: beuc
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Decommissioning inactive projects / users?
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 10:18:38 +0200

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 03:12:31PM -0700, Jim Meyering wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
> >     Does Savannah have any policy/system in place for removing projects or
> >     users that are inactive?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > Also, I'm not sure "inactive" is the right criteria for any deletion.
> >
> > A "nonexistent" project which has never had a commit or any other
> > substantive content would make sense to me to delete.  Otherwise, I
> > doubt it.  I hope to write more about this later today.
> >
> > As for users, I see no criteria to apply.  Maybe after a few more years
> > we could say "hasn't logged in in 20 years", but even 10 years seems too
> > aggressive to me :).  I'm crazy I guess ...
>
> Not crazy at all, imho.
> I see no value in deleting inactive users or projects.
> For inactive projects, perhaps delist them from some index if they
> have had no commit in a very long time, but I can imagine even that
> could feel wrong for some project.

I did a massive clean-up of users who didn't do ANYTHING (no post, no
project membership, no nothing) a few years ago.  I think I ditched
15000 accounts at that time, and some people complained that they
"reserved their username" on Savannah.

Not much value besides easying my work on Savane->Savane-python
migration scripts at that time.

Cheers!
Sylvain