Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Task #14039: Terminocheck

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Task #14039: Terminocheck
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 22:35:20 GMT

Hi Hugh,

    I have joined the list because I would like to
    help support Savannah.

Thanks!

    * project naming: one concern I had is that I would see the project name
    ("Terminocheck") and think the program had something to do with terminals

I agree.  Please bring it up with them.  I'm not sure what alternative
to suggest.  fsvocabcheck?  fslingo?  rmsvocab?  Got to be something.

    * Licensing: unable to check notices in detail

Are you aware of Assaf's scripts for automatically testing a submitted
tarball?  I can't remember now where we linked to them in the help
pages, but they should be there somewhere.

    because my system was
    unable to open the .gz archive, complaining about the format.

Despite the name, it's a tar.bz2 file.  (file told me.)
  bunzip2 <terminocheck-0.3_2016-06-12_20-30.tar.gz | tar xf -
or just
  tar xjf terminocheck-0.3_2016-06-12_20-30.tar.gz
or even more just
  tar xf terminocheck-0.3_2016-06-12_20-30.tar.gz
if you have a sufficiently new GNU tar.

Since tar does not care about filenames, but looks for magic numbers.

    Recommendation: reply to the applicant a) commenting on naming and
    b) asking for a readable tarball.

Or at least b) remarking on the inconsistency :).
Please go ahead with that.

    I hope the above will be somewhat useful; I will look to practice on
    some more applications.

Thanks again.  Will reply about the agriculture one next ... --karl