Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Problems with cordelia

From: Mark H. Weaver
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Problems with cordelia
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:02:27 -0400

Loic Dachary <address@hidden> writes:
> Jonas Oberg writes:
>  > We're experiencing problems doing anonymous checkouts of /cvs/cordelia fro
>  > savannah;
>  >
>  >   $ echo $CVSROOT
>  >   :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs
>  >   $ cvs update cordelia
>  >   cvs server: Updating cordelia
>  >   cvs server: failed to create lock directory in repository `/cvs/cordelia
> ': Permission denied
>  >   cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/cvs/cordelia'
>  >   cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
>  >
>  > This has apparently worked before. Is it an easy fix that we can do -now-
>  > or can I change the CVSROOT to something more sane for it to work, or woul
>  > everyone be better off if we imported the cordelia directory into the
>  > Savannah tree?
>
>       It now works as it used to. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It's still not working.  Here's what happens when I try to run the first few
commands in ~pjr/corgen.sh on gnudist, which is the daily cron job which is
supposed to update the directory, but has been failing to do so:

    $ id
    uid=9145(pjr) gid=9145(pjr)
groups=9145(pjr),33(www),43(cvsadmin),50(staff),51(ftp)
    $ cd ~www/html/gnulist
    $ export CVSROOT=":pserver:address@hidden:/cvs"
    $ cvs update
    ? html
    ? config.log
    ? .deps
    ? config.cache
    ? config.status
    ? Makefile
    ? cgnulist
    ? GNU
    ? bug-directory-archive-20001025.gz
    ? cordelia/SUMMARY
    ? cordelia/unfinished
    cvs server: Updating .
    cvs server: Updating cordelia
    cvs server: failed to create lock directory in repository `/cvs/cordelia':
    Permission denied
    cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/cvs/cordelia'
    cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
    $

As a sanity check, I followed the instructions on
<http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group_id=33> on my own machine, to check out a
fresh copy via anonymous CVS.  It doesn't work:

    address@hidden:~/gnu/gnulist$ cvs
-d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/gnulist login
    Logging in to :pserver:address@hidden:2401/cvsroot/gnulist
    CVS password:
    cvs login: failed to open /home/mhw/.cvspass for reading: No such file or
directory
    cvs [login aborted]: fatal error: exiting

The problem is not limited to gnulist.  The EXACT same thing happened when I
tried to check out a copy of autoconf via anoncvs.

        Mark