Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Vacation Mail Re

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Vacation Mail Re
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:04:24 +0100

Sean Rima writes:
 > address@hidden was alleged to have said to Sean Rima
 >  something about [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Vacation
 > Mail Re
 >
 > The code is GPL. However I have not updated the README to reflect this due
 > to changes from the original licence to GNU GPL licence.
 >
 > I have made major changes to the code base since I took it over and
 > therefore it no longer resembles the original code base. I will have a look
 > at the suggested licence though.

        Still, the vacation.c file shows the original BSD license.
Making major changes to a software does not allow you to change the
license, unless you get a written permission from the original
author(s).

        In the README you (I guess it's you ;-) say that your changes
are under the GNU GPL license. However, the original BSD license and the
GNU GPL license are incompatible. This creates a legal problem that should
be solved.

        You would be safe by chosing the original BSD license for your
changes. Trying another license (other than GNU GPL) may also create
compatibility problems. Unfortunately nobody cares to study the compatibility
issues between licenses (is MPL compatible with original BSD, Apache
compatible with MPL etc. etc.).

        The best thing to do would be to get in touch with the original
author(s) and ask permission to switch to GNU GPL. If they refuse they
may accept to change to the modified BSD license which is compatible with
the GNU GPL.

        I hope it helps,