[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Quartz

From: sku79
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Quartz
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 14:47:27 -0500

sharath udupa <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: Quartz
System name: quartz

This project is aimed at developing a comprehensive platform to provide routing
functionality along with easy and effective QoS management services.
This can be realised as an appliance or as software distro. As an appliance
this would be a black box with can be plugged to the existing network
infrastructure. This box behaves as a router along with providing QoS
management services. Since this would be a black box, managing the box would be
through a web interface which provides the administrator some freedom in
choosing the location from where s/he would want to configure the device.
This could also be realised as a software distro, i.e., we provide a cd
packaged with the system(OS+platform) which when installed on a PC would
provide the complete services.

The first task on hand is integrating the several parts already available in
linux needed to realise this platform. I would like to list a few of them (this
by no way is a complete list) -
*Linux kernel 2.4 - This should provide all the networking services needed,i.e,
TCP/IP stack, QoS service (necessary options are chosen when compiling the
kernel),etc.
*Routing services - We could use existing applications such as Zebra or
linuxrouter.
*QoS services
*APIs for using the kernel provided services.
*Web based interface - this will the interface used by the administrator to
configure the platform

It does not exist yet but I\'m working on it.