Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: Strangeness in quail-input-st

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: Strangeness in quail-input-string-to-events]
Date: 08 Jan 2002 18:50:37 +0000

 >> > You cannot update the CVS repository using pserver.
 >>
 >> Somewhere there was a promise that it wouldn't stop you changing the
 >> way you work...  That probably stops me contributing.
 >>

 >      Guillaume probably doesn't have all the history of our
 > exchanges.

I mean in information about savannah.

 > I tried to help you setup ssh some months ago, for the url
 > and w3 projects. It turned out not to work for you for some reason (I
 > could search the archives if this is important to you).

I couldn't find instructions.  It appeared there should have been a
link from where I was referred, but there wasn't.  I asked for more
info and never heard back.

 >      I kindly ask you to consider that maintaining this
 > compatibility is both a security hole and additional work for people
 > maintaining subversions. If you ever get a chance to learn more about
 > CVS over SSH,

I used it extensively for gcc maintenance, but since then things have
changed, particularly with networking here.

 > please notify us so that we can further reduce the list
 > of people depending on these historical things.

I'm quite happy to try again, but I need instructions, specifically
how to get an account set up.  I tried, but it told me I already had
one.  I don't know how that got set up and I couldn't get the `lost'
password for it -- no response to two or three attempts.

 >      There also is another possibility: using :gserver: instead of
 > :pserver:.

I'm sure something that I read said I must use ssh (1).  (Sorry I
don't remember where, if you want to correct it.)  I have tried
Kerberos access in the past without success through our firewalling,
despite being able to telnet to gnu.  (FYI Heimdal in Debian is
problematic at present -- it won't let me authenticate against
GNU.ORG.  I had an exchange with Debian people about that before
Christmas, which I must resume.)

 > This implies that your CVS is compiled with kerberos 5 support and
 > gssapi support and that you have a gnu.org kerberos account.

Can't you offer kerberized rsh too (not that it would help me)?

 >      I apologize for the confusion that was generated with the
 > url/w3 project. I always feel uneasy when what we do is a burden to
 > people we are supposed to help. We don't want to be the typical
 > sysadmin type who creates more troubles than they are supposed to
 > solve. For that matter we're not sysadmin, we're volunteers ;-)

As I'm both, I understand.  Thanks for your efforts.  I haven't been
complaining loudly.  I just mentioned to rms why I was making
mistakes, trying to install stuff in a hurry in case I lost access.
This is probably moot since I only seem to get told off for Emacs
checkins these days :-(.

I actually thought rms had to use pserver, but I don't remember
details of the grief I had over setting up the Emacs repository
initially...