Re: [Savannah-hackers] Aspell and Savannah

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Aspell and Savannah
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:51:04 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Loic Dachary wrote:

> Kevin Atkinson writes:
>  >
>  > I have absolutely nothing against the terms.  I just really don't want to
>  > have to write GNU/Linux every time I refer to that particular operation
>  > system.  To me GNU/Linux is a form of political correctness which I also
>  > don't really agree with and find really annoying.
>  >
>  > All the areas in which I disagree with the FSF or minor things like that.
>
>       Maybe I was not clear enough when I explained why I think that
> using GNU/Linux spreads the ideals of Free Software. Or maybe it is
> the case that you disagree with this specific point ?

I do not think is is necessary to use those terms.  When I want to talk
about the Linux operating system I will simply use Linux.  The GNU/Linux
name to me does not serves any real purpose because most people will
simply not read it like you do.  In fact some people, including me, simply
read is as the FSF having to get there name in everything.

>       Could you please tell me if I was clear enough ? I'd like to
> make the point that I'm not using GNU/Linux or Free Software instead
> of other names because I want to be politically correct.

Perhaps "politically correctness" was not the best term to use.  But Yes I
fully understand you reasons for wanting to use those names.  I just don't
agree with you in the importance of using those terms.